A library is the information centre for the school. In the Primary School it was renamed as "Books Planet" by the pupils. It supports the pedagogical work of the teachers and encourages pupils to read books, while at the same time providing assistance to teachers gathering information.
As a reading centre, the Book Planet helps to make pupils develop confidence in handling books step by step from the start of their primary education. The pupils learn how a multimedia library is organised, how to locate different types of books/media and to recognise different language levels. They become familiar with the arrangement of the books in a media library and learn how to behave appropriately.
A particular feature of the European School Munich is that children learn to appreciate the value of finding and using a range of resources including DVDs, CDs, and books, not only in their mother tongue, but also in other languages. During lunch breaks, the Primary School's Book Planet can provide a haven for enrichment, relaxation and interaction with pupils of other language sections, promoting integration. It also supports teaching staff regarding individual learning support of pupils.
- Monday 08:15 - 13:15 hrs
- Tuesday 08:15 - 15:45 hrs
- Wednesday 08:15 - 12:05 hrs
- Thursday 08:15 - 15:45 hrs
- Friday 08:15 - 12:05 hrs
All classes and Second Language groups may visit the Primary School's Book Planet every second week, provided that the teachers have made an appointment for their groups and classes.
The SWALS children can visit the Book Planet during their SWALS lessons.
The Book Planet is open during lunch breaks on the long days as follows:
- Mondays all year 5 classes
- Tuesdays all year 2 & 4 classes
- Thursdays all year 1 (from the second semester onwards) & 3 classes
Pupils are supposed to spend the 10 o'clock morning break outside. During lunch break on Tuesdays and Thursdays pupils are allowed to go to the library. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays before the morning break, pupils are allowed to enter the library to return books only.
Each student can borrow a maximum of four media for the duration of one month. However, he can only choose one film and also only one audio book. If a medium is overdrawn, he/she will not be given another one until the medium is returned (even if the number of four has not yet been reached). An extension of the books/CD/DVD for another four weeks is possible. Students and parents are responsible for the borrowed media. If a medium is damaged or lost, it must be replaced.
The Book Planet currently holds approximately 25,000 media in 23 European languages.
Books for borrowing are arranged by:
- languages: Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, French, Finnish, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Irish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
- fiction and non-fiction books
- sorted by age group/reading level
In addition the following media is available:
- DVDs in various languages sorted by age
- Audio books
- periodicals in various languages
- a reference section with a wide range of reference works in various languages
- two internet connections for students to do research for presentations or school projects and to use learning programs like Antolin, Matific and Lernwerkstatt
- three audio stations with six headphones each
- beamer and screen for film screenings and lecture presentations
School year 2021/2022
Please note that all pupils should consult the list of books for language II.
Pupils in the Dutch, English, Italian and French sections should/can order their books through the joint order forms.
Pupils in the Greek language section will receive their books from the Greek Ministry of Education. These pupils only require the language II book list.
Please always check the latest updated version!
German language section
French language section
Spanish language section
Italian language section
- Bulgarian Years p1 - p5
- Czech Years p1 - p5
- Danish Years p1 – p5
- Estonian Years p1 - p5
- Finnish Years p1 - p5
- Hungarian Years p1 - p5
- Lithuanian Years p1 - p5
- Polish Years p1 - p5
- Portugese Years p1 - p5
- Romanian Years p1 - p5
- Serbian Years p1 - p5
- Slovakian Years p1 - p5
- Slovenian Years p1 - p5
- Swedish Years p1 - p5
- Turkish Years p1 - p5
If a book is out of print, please inform us by using the web form, specifying the class and the language section.